CASCADES Restaurant Viceroy Bali
Bali island buzzes with bustling venues, reservation wait lists, and award winning chefs. In our visit to the beautiful village of Ubud, we went to taste the awards winning restaurant CasCades nestled in one of the best luxury hotels in Asia, the Viceroy Bali.
The hotel and restaurant is majestically situated in Bali’s “Valley of the Kings” named by locals for the generations of Balinese royalty who have resided in nearby villages.
Just because of the striking tropical valley views, CasCades exceeded from any other fine dining restaurant but, if you add the meticulously crafted food of Chef Nic Vanderbekeen, the experience is absolutely bold. Nic is the executive chef of Cascades Restaurant since 2013. He fuses a French base with Asian influences and has 20 years of experience working in Belgium, France, the U.S and Vietnam. He is continuously designing elegant menus for the delight of our taste buds.
There are 3 options to choose from for an exquisite fine dining experience. A la Carte, European degustation menu or the Indonesian degustation selection for a local experience.
We had the honor to meet Nic and have a chat with him. As we didn’t know if going for a international or local experience, he decided to surprise us with a mix of both.
- ACAR ACAR. Organic pickled vegetable salad, cucumber, carrot, sweet sour, tofu, samba mayo, peanuts, red bell pepper/chilli gel.
- OCTOPUS. Marinated grilled octopus, cauliflower textures, marinated fennel, caramelized sesame seeds.
- SOP BOBOR. Spinach and young coconut soup, chicken bask, salam leaf, lesser galangal, coriander espuma.
- RENDANG SAPI. Braised beef cheek, sumatran rendang sauce, corn perked, chilli samba, steamed yellow rice.
- MANGO MADNESS. Grilled mango, pickled lime, coconut gel, palm sugar cake, passion fruit caviar, tamarin sorbet.
The dishes combined fantastic flavours and each mouthful was like a party in our mouth. The staff is well trained and all of them were full aware of the menu.
Viceroy Hotel is well known by sophisticated international travellers as one of the world's secret tropical hideaways and as a sanctuary for couples, honeymoons and weddings. Either the hotel and the Restaurant have been awarded numerous accolades throughout the years.